♥FOLLOW ME HERE♥
Tweets by ochikeron
Japanese Doll Festival (Hinamatsuri), or Girls’ Day, is held on March 3rd.
On this day, we set up hina dolls (hina-ningyo) since they are believed to protect girls from bad luck.
Hishi Mochi (diamond shaped rice cake) is usually presented with hina dolls. Hishi Mochi commonly consists of three layers: pink, white, and green, from top to bottom. It is said that pink represents peach flowers, white represents snow, and green represents grass. Those colors have a meaning to get the power of nature. Therefore, I used these three colors for my Sushi Cake 🙂
This recipe is perfect for Birthday or any other events, too 🙂
Number of servings: 4 people = 18×8cm (7x3inch) loaf pan
600g (1.3lb.) cooked Japanese rice (short-grain rice)
4 tbsp. Sushi vinegar*
50g (1.8oz.) crab meat
1 tbsp. Aonori (green laver)
Kinshi Tamago (shredded egg crepe)
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp. sugar
– a pinch of salt
Ikura (salmon roe)
1. To make Kinshi Tamago (shredded egg crepe), mix egg, sugar, and a pinch of salt very well. Heat cooking oil in a large frying pan on low heat, pour the egg mixture in the pan and spread over the surface. Cook the egg until the edges begin to dry, then flip it over and cook the other side for about 10 seconds. Leave it to cool completely. Cut into thin and short strips.
2. Place cooked Japanese rice in a bowl. Add Sushi vinegar while the rice is hot and slice through rice using a rice paddle to separate the grains. Divide it into 3 bowls. Mix Aonori (green laver) in one bowl and mix crab meat in another.
3. Wet the loaf pan (or line with plastic wrap). Place the crab meat Sushi rice and press down flat with a rice paddle or a spoon. Then place the white Sushi rice and the Aonori Sushi rice one after another and flatten as well. Turn the loaf pan upside down onto a plate to remove the rice.
4. Top with Kinshi Tamago, roll up smoked salmon strips to make roses, slice cucumber to make leaves, and garnish with shrimp and Ikura.
* Ingredients to make sushi vinegar from scratch.
3 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
Hinamatsuri Recipe Ideas:
Crispy Hina-Arare Cheese Truffles
Easy Hinaningyo Rice Balls
Bite-Sized Cheese Cutlet Balls
Easy Sugar-Free Fresh Strawberry Tart
California Roll for Hinamatsuri
FYI (products I used in my videos):
♥Visit my Blog to know more about ME♥
♥My Recipe Posts in Japanese♥
Tweets by alohaforever
♥and of course SUBSCRIBE♥